Staying at home because of Covid-19 is a great time to improve your search engine optimization skills.
The following seven learning sites together offer 13 free SEO courses. Some include free certificates to showcase your new skills on LinkedIn or elsewhere.
Coursera's instructional materials – from individual courses to master's programs – come from universities and individuals around the world. Many of the paid courses can be reviewed for free, which allows you to download the material and consume the content without obtaining a certificate. SEO offers include:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Specialization. This four-course collection, offered through the University of California, Davis, includes an introduction, the basics, on-page optimization and advanced content and social media strategies.
- Advanced Search Engine Optimization Strategies. This individual class includes technical, international, mobile and social strategies to increase website traffic. It also includes tips on how to measure and communicate the success of your SEO program.
LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com) offers a one-month free trial. Afterwards, the price is $ 19.99 per month for unlimited access. The 865 SEO-related videos include:
- SEO: Videos. Google includes videos in organic search results. This class explains how to rank your videos and use them to attract customers.
With more than 100,000 paid and free video courses, Udemy has something on almost any subject. This includes more than 600 SEO videos, including:
- SEO training course by Moz. This three-and-a-half hour collection of Moz's popular Whiteboard Friday videos consists of seven sections with topics that include strategy, audits and reporting.
- SEO Link Building Basics. This one-hour class deals with analysis of backlink profiles, competitive link survey and link exploration.
This free training site from HubSpot, the marketing platform, contains course certifications that integrate with LinkedIn profiles. The instruction applies to all websites, with or without HubSpot. Apart from its value as an online learning site, it is a prime example of SEO and content marketing.
The eMarketing Institute offers free downloadable e-books along with free online testing to verify learning. When you pass the test you will be rewarded with a free certificate.
- SEO certification course. The 14 chapters in the 156-page ebook cover content for beginners, e.g. how search engines work, keyword research, page optimization and link building.
Other certification courses from eMarketing include e-commerce, blogging, paid search and content marketing.
Udacity offers free and paid content for developers and technical SEO practitioners.
- Website performance optimization. Google created this free mid-level course to optimize the speed of your pages and the site as a whole. You will invest six hours and deal with a final project to complete the course.
Udacity also offers a 40 percent discount on premium programs, including its Digital Marketing Nanodegree. The course seems to cover all aspects of digital marketing – with a single course on SEO – for three months, part time.
Springboard offers paid online learning services and career placement services with a technical focus on design, coding, computer science and analysis. It also offers free "learning paths", including one for SEO.
- Sökmotoroptimeringsinlärningsväg. In eight sections and 53 resources, this track takes 44 hours to complete. Most of the content – tutorials, best practice documents, case studies – comes from leading websites such as Moz, HubSpot and Backlinko. It is an excellent compendium of the best resources for SEO.